Monday 21 May 2012

Triple Choclate Brownies and Gingerbread Mickey Mouses

For a picnic we went on yesterday I made some Triple Chocolate Brownies. I have made these before in England and they were delicious. Now we are here in Canada, and my baking is suffering, I thought I would try again.

Wahooo. They worked. Wow did they work!!!!

 

They went down well at the picnic too. In fact I didn't take enough.

The recipe? Here you go. This was originally from the BBC Good Food book.

185g plain chocolate chips

185g butter

3 eggs

275g sugar

85g all purpose flour

40g cocoa powder

50g white chocolate roughly chopped (I added a handful more)

50g milk chocolate roughly chopped

Oven 180*C. Grease and line square 8" tin. Melt plain choc and butter and cool. Whisk eggs and sugar till double the size. Pour over melted choc/butter and fold in. Sift in flour and cocoa and fold in. Stir in chopped choc.

Pour into tin pushing into sides and corners. Bake for 20-25 mins until shiny and papery on top with no wobbles in the middle. It should start to come away from the sides. It will be squishy in the middle so a cake tester won't work!

Leave until completely cool, turn out and cut up. It is very moussey in the middle but melts in your mouth. Yum yum!!

****************************************

I also made some gingerbread. A foolproof recipe. One I always use. Huffle and I chose the cutter. We told the kids it was a Mickey Mouse shape (it's more like a club without the stalk! - but they loved it).

 

These didn't go down as well as the brownies but to be honest, not much can compare really. However they do go rather nice with a cup of tea.

The recipe? Okay, here goes. This one is originally from an Usborne Baking Book.

350g all purpose flour

4 teaspoons ground ginger (we like to taste it so our teaspoons are well rounded, original Recipe is half of this)

1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda

100g butter (in chunks)

90g light soft brown sugar

45g Demerara sugar

40g castor sugar

(original recipe just calls for 175g soft light brown sugar but we ran out and using the sugars above made it melt in the mouth!)

1 egg

4 tablespoons golden syrup (I have used maple syrup and it worked well too but Golden Syrup is always better)

Oven 190*C. Mix the flour, ginger and bicarbonate together. Add the butter and rub together till breadcrumb texture. Stir in sugars. In another bowl, whisk egg and syrup. Add to flour mix. Mix with a metal spoon until it forms a dough (you may have to bring it together with hands. On a floured surface, stretch the dough, pushing it away and folding it until it is smooth. Roll out (I split it into two normally) to about 1/2" thickness. This makes it soft in the middle and crunchy on the outside, any thinner and it is very crunchy.

Cut out shapes and place on a greased baking sheet with room for biscuits to spread slightly. Bake for 8-12 mins depending on size and thickness.

I take them off the tray as soon as they are out of the own because I normally need the baking tray for more. The kids love making these too. They are really nice iced and decorated too.



I would love to know if you use the recipe and how they turned out.



2 comments:

Clare said...

Yum-my. They both look delish. Me and the kids make chocolate brownies, but our ginger-bread has been a bit hit and miss, so may have to try your version.

Jumbleberries xx

Annie said...

All I can say is yum yum. I'd best not make any ....cos I would eat them :-)
Hugs,
A x