Thursday 17 May 2012

Skunky, Scones and a Head

Yesterday I finished Smallest's sock monkey. He was made using a pair of old socks and looks old, worn, loved and really quite 'Skunky' whatever that means. This morning I handed him to Smallest who instantly smelt him! Anyone that knows my Smallest, knows that if he smells something, he loves it. It is what gets him to sleep (normally sniffing his elephant called 'Smelly').

 

The edges were quite frayed and it wasn't a neat sewing job, but I wanted him to look worn. These socks were originally Small's and then passed to Smallest, so they have had plenty of wear. That undeniable dirty heel that you can't ever get really clean.

I made it in two days. He loves it. Now I have to make one for Small. Thank goodness I only have two children and one husband.

Smallest helped me to make some Canadian Scones yesterday. I have had trouble baking since we came here. I blame the cooker (old, came with the house, only one cooking shelf, too hot), and the ingredients (no self raising flour here, need to use baking powder and baking soda, all purpose flour or cake and pastry flour). Anyway a lady at the Garden Centre where I work gave me this fool proof recipe.

4 cups flour (I used all purpose)

1 cup sugar

1 cup butter

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 tablespoon baking powder

Mix it all up together.

Add 2 cups of buttermilk

1 cup fruit (I used blueberries)

Bake (I put them at the top) 400* for 12-15 mins.

They look like rock cakes but they do taste like scones. They are quite moist so you don't need butter or jam, especially with the blueberries in them.




I joined in with Annaboo's CAL (Crochet a long) to attempt to crochet a monkey, doll or cat. I chose a monkey - you can never have too many monkies in one house!!!!


Sorry Annaboo, I don't know why this picture is so small

She is blogging step by step instructions, which is great because I finally understand a pattern and she gives pictures to show you what it should look like. Fabulous. I started it Tuesday Evening and it didn't go well and then tried again the next day and it worked.
It isn't perfect. I didn't always have the correct number of stitches. The face is a bit wonky. But I kind of like him/her already. The kids have already asked me "who is that one for?". FOR ME, IT IS FOR ME!!!

There will be more of this CAL next week. How exciting. Maybe I will make a start on a doll while I am waiting. Or maybe I should get on with Small's sock monkey. or maybe I should finish my Granny Blanket, or perhaps I will try some more baking now I have some confidence back.



1 comment:

Debbie said...

Aw, your sock monkey is fab! The scones look yummy, I must give the recipe a try!

Debbie x